Despite a brisk and windy morning, over 680 New Orleans area anglers gathered in City Park to compete in the 69th annual Big Bass Rodeo hosted by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries and New Orleans City Park.
Darryl Delerno, Jr., of Gretna, landed a 4.13-pound bass, earning him the Joel Courcelle Award for top bass of the day. Dalerno was also awarded the right to compete in the upcoming Champion’s Challenge against previous winners.
Even the youngest of anglers braved the weather to try their hand at landing an award-winning catch. Brennan LeJeune reeled in a 1.1-pound largemouth bass and took home the Paul Kalman Award for largest catch for anglers 12 years old or younger. Nathan McCann came in first place with his .64-pound weight in the bream, cichlid or perch category.
A new competition category brought high school rivalry to a whole new level. Battle for the Bass pitted high schools fishing teams of up to five members against one another to land the two largest bass per team. The Bass Busters of Mandeville High School took home the inaugural honor with an overall combined weight of 5.25 pounds. The team of Bailey Madere, Trenton Pittman, Garrett Williams, Cole Plaisance and Clay Thrasher beat out 30 other area teams for the top prize and bragging rights.
For more information on the Big Bass Rodeo or Battle for the Bass, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.fishla.org.
A complete list of winners is as follows:
1. Darryl Delerno, Jr. – 4.13 lbs.
2. DJ Parr – 3.88 lbs.
3. Mike Laviolette – 3.22 lbs.
1. Cary Smith – 2.76 lbs.
Cichlid and Bream Team
1. Team Camo – 3.97 lbs.
2. Stop, Drop and Reel – 3.18 lbs.
3. Get the Net – 2.5 lbs.
1. Zach Henderson – 16.38 lbs.
1. Peter Durr – 1.77 lbs.
1. Brennan LeJeune – 1.1 lbs.
2. Hunter Thomassie – 0.89 lbs.
3. Jacob Breaux – 0.64 lbs.
Bream, Cichlid or Perch-Junior
1. Nathan McCann – 0.64 lbs.
2. Caleb Buras – 0.48 lbs.
3. Brooklyn Schneider - .30 lbs.
Battle for the Bass
1. Bass Busters from Mandeville High School – Total weight: 5.25 lbs.
2. Griffins from Dutchtown High School – Total weight: 2.32 lbs.
3. Fishing of Any Kind from Archbishop Rummel High School – Total Weight 2.24 lbs.
Bass Category-Boats on the Bayou
1. Kevin Metz – 3.04 lbs.
2. Chase Crawford – 2.17 lbs.
3. Luke Beslin – 0.86 lbs.
Trout Category-Boats on the Bayou
1. Chris Holmes – 1.84 lbs.
2. Sam McCarroll – 0.77 lbs.
Trashbash Category-Boats on the Bayou
1. Geoffrey Vdoff - 0.72 lbs.
2. Geoffrey Vdoff - 0.34 lbs.
3. Geoffrey Vdoff – 0.33 lbs.