May 3, 2013 -- The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission, during their May 2 meeting, approved two notices of intent (NOI) that included one amendment for the 2013-15 hunting seasons and the 2013-14 Wildlife Management Area (WMA) hunting season.
The amendment to the original NOI for the 2013-14 General-WMA Hunting Regulations allows for an experimental nighttime frog hunting season on Salvador-Timken WMA beginning June 1, 2014 and running through Aug. 15, 2014. The daily limit would be 50 frogs per vessel and participants would be required to carry a valid Louisiana fishing license.
Some of the proposed hunting season changes that were approved include:
- Alterations in deer areas and seasons to include a new Area 4, Area 9 and Area 10, plus re-aligned Areas 1, 6 and 7.
- Standardized crawfish limits on all Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) allowing up to 100 lbs/person/day.
- Feral hog, experimental trapping with no live removal, from May 1 to Aug. 31, by permit only on Boeuf, Clear Creek, Jackson-Bienville, Manchac, Pearl River, Red River, Sherburne, Thistlethwaite, Three Rivers and West Bay WMAs; limited permits may be available at regional LDWF field offices.
- Elbow Slough WMA: lottery-only hunts for Mourning Dove on opening weekend of 1st split.
- Pearl River WMA: return to deer season framework and length utilized pre-Hurricane Katrina.· Maurepas Swamp WMA: reduction in deer hunting days from 42 days to 28 days to be consistent with proposed New Area 9 season.
- Salvador/Timken WMA: Experimental Night-time Activity Season (frogging); plus deer hunting to be allowed after 12 noon.
- Thistlethwaite WMA: 10-year Experimental Quality Deer Management Season to include ending current experimental season antler restriction and adopting new experimental season with altered season structure.
- Kisatchie National Forest: addition of a Youth Deer Hunt and still hunting only for all deer hunting.
- Primitive Gear: addition of single shot, breech loading shotguns, 10-gauge or smaller, having an exposed hammer, loaded with buckshot or rifled slug.
To view the full notices of intent and the approved amendment, as presented Feb. 7, 2013 by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, and subsequent amendments, please visit http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/action-items.
For more information, contact Steve Smith at 225-765-2359 or email@example.com .