July 2, 2013 -- The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission today issued notices of intent with the proposed 2014 wild turkey season and regulation changes. The proposed season framework was presented by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries’ (LDWF) Wildlife Division at the Commission’s monthly meeting. The public has 60 days to comment on the department’s recommendation.
If approved as presented, the 2014 wild turkey season would open March 22 in three designated areas with varying end of season dates as follows: Area A, March 22 - April 20; Area B, March 22 - April 13; and Area C, March 22 - April 6 using the same geographic boundaries utilized in 2013 with the exception of a small portion of Area B within Caddo Parish to be closed.
The private lands youth and physically challenged hunter weekend would be set for March 15-16 in all designated areas, if approved as recommended.
Additionally, on USFWS-managed national wildlife refuges and US Army Corps of Engineer properties the following turkey hunting dates would be available:
* Bogue Chitto NWR, March 15-16 (youth), plus March 22 - April 13.
* Lake Ophelia NWR, March 15 (youth lottery), plus March 22 - April 6 (hunts end at 12 noon).
* Tensas NWR, March 15-16 (youth), plus March 22 - April 6.
* Upper Ouachita NWR, March 15 (youth lottery).
* Indian Bayou USACOE, March 15-16 (youth/physically challenged), plus March 22-23 and 29-30; all lottery hunts.
* Old River USACOE, March 22 - April 6.
Proposed turkey hunting dates on Kisatchie National Forest would include youth hunts on March 15-16 on the Caney, Calcasieu (except Forest Service / Vernon Unit lands within Ft. Polk/Vernon WMA) and Kisatchie Ranger Districts; and March 15 on Catahoula and Winn Ranger Districts. The regular turkey season within the Caney Ranger District would run from March 22 to April 6; and from March 22 to April 13 on all other Ranger Districts.
WMA turkey season and rule changes would include:
* Noting the name change of Three Rivers / Red River WMAs to Richard K. Yancey WMA
* Clarification of lottery hunt rules to allow youth to apply for both youth and regular lottery hunts
* Dropping the GPS requirement on Tunica Hills WMA
* Adding an open hunt on Pomme de Terre WMA from April 16-20
* Replacing two, 3-day lottery hunts on Union WMA with a 2-day lottery hunt March 29-30 and a 7-day open hunt March 31 to April 6 and youth lottery hunt weekend March 15-16
* Moving Sabine WMA’s first regular lottery hunt to March 28-30
* Dropping the second Pearl River WMA youth hunt
Public comments can be submitted by mail to Kenny Ribbeck, LDWF Wildlife Division, P. O. Box 98000, Baton Rouge, LA 70898-9000, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org through Sept. 5, 2013.
To view the full notice of intent and all proposed hunting season dates and regulations changes for the upcoming hunting season, please visit http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/action-items. For more information, contact Jimmy Stafford at 225-765-2361 or email@example.com .