The White Lake Property (as referred to in Act 613, 2004 Louisiana Legislature) or White Lake Wetlands Conservation Area (White Lake) (as referred to by the LDWF) is located in Vermilion Parish, Louisiana. The contiguous unit is 70,965 acres, located along the western boundary of Vermilion parish; it is bounded on the south by White Lake the northern boundary is 7.4 miles south of Gueydan at the south end of Hwy. 91. Lafayette is 32 air miles northeast and Lake Charles is 40 air miles northwest. The southern boundary of White Lake is 17.5 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico. The property averages 12 miles from east to west and 9 miles from north to south ( see enlarged map ).
HISTORY OF OWNERSHIP
BP America Production White Lake (BPWL) properties have a long history of company ownership and management. Note that Stanolind Oil and Gas Company (Stanolind) preceded Amoco Production Company (Amoco) which preceded BP America Production Company (BP). Stanolind acquired the 71,130 ac. property from Wright Morrow by Act of Sale on July 31, 1935. This sale included all of the property acquired by Yount-Lee Oil Company from P. L. Lawrence, et. ux., by Act of Sale dated March 7, 1931 and a portion of the property acquired by M. F. Yount from Elizabeth M. Watkins by Act of Sale dated November 5, 1929.
BP owned and managed the BPWL until July 8, 2002 when BP donated the property to the state of Louisiana. On July 8, 2002, a Cooperative Endeavor agreement between the State and White Lake Preservation Inc., a 501(c)3 corporation, for management of the property was executed. On January 1, 2005, Act 613 of the 2004 Regular Legislative Session became effective. This act established:
- Transfer of property management from White Lake Preservation Inc. to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF)
- The White Lake Property Advisory Board (WLPAB), the LDWF, and the Wildlife and Fisheries Commission powers and duties relative to the management of the White Lake Property
A special account within the Conservation Fund for White Lake Property.
On December 17, 2004, the State, BP, and White Lake Preservation Inc. signed a Transition Agreement for the management of the property by White Lake Preservation Inc. until July 1, 2005, at which time LDWF took total control.
HISTORY OF MANAGEMENT
A dramatic die-off of wetlands vegetation in 1957-58, necessitated a dramatic change in property management. This is when wetlands conservation emphasis changed from a natural hydrology to managed hydrology, as is the current strategy.
LDWF/White Lake Wetland Conservation Area
P.O. Box 480 Gueydan, LA 70542 Phone: 337-536-9400
E-mail: email@example.com