March 10, 2011- The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) is reminding hunters that tags must be in possession by all turkey hunters regardless of age during the upcoming 2011 turkey season that opens March 19. Turkey hunters are also reminded that harvested turkeys must be tagged prior to being moved from the site of harvest. Also of extreme importance for the proper management of the species, each tagged turkey must be reported by phone (1-866-484-4805) or internet (www.la.wildlifelicense.com ).
If you haven’t hunted since last year’s turkey season, remember these details:
When in the field, and immediately upon harvesting a turkey, the hunter must:
- Tag the turkey with the appropriate Carcass Tag from the license before it is moved and document the kill on the Harvest Report Card portion of the turkey tag.
- Record the date of kill and the parish of kill on the Carcass Tag.
When transporting the harvested turkey:
- The tag must remain attached to the turkey while kept at camp, or while it is transported to the domicile of the hunter.
- If a successful hunter wishes to divide their game with other hunters, a possession tag must be used.
- Possession Tags are printed in the of the 2010-11 Louisiana Hunting Regulations booklet, or can be downloaded via the LDWF Web site, and document the identification of the hunter who harvested the turkey. Correctly completed Possession Tags identify the hunter responsible for the carcass and allow anyone to transport the meat legally.
Within 72 hours of the harvest of each turkey, the hunter must:
- Validate the kill by toll-free phone at 866-484-4805 or via the Internet at https://www.la.wildlifelicense.com  .
- Record the confirmation number obtained by phone or Internet on the Harvest Report Card.
Additionally: Hunters are advised not to remove the Carcass Tags from the Turkey Harvest Report Card until a turkey is harvested. Single tags are automatically voided if detached from the license prematurely, not placed on a harvested turkey, and then lost by a hunter. Duplicate tags will be available to replace lost tags at a charge to the hunter. Hunters must record validated turkey on the duplicate turkey tag.
Anyone purchasing a license by phone or the Internet will be given both an authorization number and a LDWF identification number that will serve as their temporary license until the actual license arrives by mail. Hunters must tag turkeys using any piece of paper with legibly written authorization number and LDWF identification number, along with the hunters name, address, date and parish where the turkey was taken. This will serve in lieu of the absent carcass tag. Hunters will maintain documentation of any harvested turkey and will validate any harvested turkey as required by law when the hunter’s actual license is received. The hunter will validate the license information from any harvested turkey and will discard the license tags for those validated turkey. NOTE: Hunting license purchases by phone or the Internet will include a handling fee, as will turkey tag requests by Lifetime license holders, Resident Seniors and hunters under age 16.
A complete listing of all rules pertaining to turkey season and tagging is provided in the 2011 Louisiana Turkey Regulations pamphlet which can be downloaded at http://www.wlf.state.la.us/publication/turkey-regulations-2011 . To view an instructional video on turkey tagging, click on the link provided on the LDWF Web site home page at www.wlf.la.gov .
The Department of Wildlife and Fisheries is charged with managing and protecting Louisiana's abundant natural resources. For more information, visit us at www.wlf.louisiana.gov  on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ldwffb  or follow us on Twitter @LDWF.
For more information, contact Jimmy Stafford at 225-765-2361 or firstname.lastname@example.org  .