Feb. 20, 2014 – The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) will host seven public meetings beginning Feb. 25 to present details on the proposed 2014-16 hunting seasons and the 2014-15 Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) general rules and regulations.
LDWF’s Wildlife Division will accept public comment that will be reported to the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission prior to final approval of seasonal dates, rules and regulations at their April 3, 2014 meeting.
Public meeting dates and locations are:
- Feb. 25 beginning at 6:00 p.m., LDWF Minden Office, 9961 Highway 80, Minden
- Feb. 25 beginning at 6:00 p.m., USGS National Wetlands Research Center, 700 Cajundome Boulevard, Lafayette
- Feb. 26 beginning at 6:00 p.m., LDWF Headquarters Building Louisiana Room, 2000 Quail Drive, Baton Rouge
- Feb. 27 beginning at 6:00 p.m., LSU Ag Center (next to Burton Coliseum), 7101 Gulf Highway, Lake Charles
- Feb. 27 beginning at 6:00 p.m., Alexandria Convention Hall, 915 3rd Street, Alexandria
- March 1 beginning at 2:00 p.m., LDWF Monroe Office, 368 Centurylink Drive, Monroe
- March 1 beginning at 2:00 p.m., Slidell Municipal Auditorium, 2056 2nd Street, Slidell
Some of the proposed changes include:
- Allowing small game hunters to carry buckshot and/or slug while small game hunting on private lands.
- Modification of a portion of Iberville Parish from Deer Area 9 to Area 6.
- Modification of a portion of St. Mary Parish from Deer Area 7 to Area 9.
- Modification of a portion of Iberville Parish within Deer Area 9 from gun with dogs to still hunt only.
- Elimination of requirement for an annual military permit on Camp Beauregard, Fort Polk, and Peason Ridge WMAs.
- Addition of general turkey lottery hunt on Pearl River WMA.
- Addition of youth turkey lottery hunt on Richard K. Yancey WMA.
- Implementation of a Self-Clearing Permit requirement for turkey hunters on Catahoula and Red Dirt National Wildlife Management Preserves within Kisatchie National Forest.
- Expansion of deer hunting opportunities on Lake Boeuf WMA.
- Addition of a youth shotgun deer season on Pass-a-Loutre WMA.
- Expansion of fishing opportunities on Pointe-aux-Chenes WMA.
For more information, contact Steve Smith at 225-765-2359 or email@example.com .