(May 21, 2014) - The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries invites Louisianans of all ages to fish for free the first weekend in June without a fishing license on any of the state’s public waters.
Louisiana offers miles of shoreline and a myriad of freshwater lakes, marsh, and bayous to take opportunity of during this annual event.
The Department hopes the weekend will introduce newcomers, visitors and people with rusty skills to one of Louisiana’s most popular sports. If you already have a fishing license, consider taking a friend or family member who has never been fishing.
Anglers are allowed to fish on all public bodies of waters without a license, but all fishing regulations still apply.
In conjunction with Free Fishing Weekend, LDWF is working with supporting sponsors to offer the following events on Saturday, June 7:
LDWF Family Fish Fest
Myrtle Grove Marina, 161 Marina Road, Port Sulphur
- Event runs from 6 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- $10 entry fee per angler, which includes a t-shirt and lunch.
- First 50 youth to enter will receive a free rod and reel courtesy of Pure Fishing, and the first 100 youth to enter will receive a goodie bag.
- Competitive categories include Little Angler, Junior Angler, Team and Scavenger Hunt.
- Additional Activities include fish identification, seining, cast netting, knot tying, fish tagging, minnow racing, casting and more.
- Online pre-registration is available at www.wlf.la.gov/familyfishfest  For more information, contact Danica Williams at (504) 628-7282.
Lake D’Arbonne State Park Fishing Derby
3628 Evergreen Road, Farmerville
- Registration begins at 8 a.m.
- Fishing contest begins at 9 a.m., and bait casting contest begins 10 a.m.
- Awards will be presented before noon.
- Eligible for kids 6 to 14 years of age.
- Bait will be provided by LDWF.
- Park entrance fee: $2/person; free entry for Seniors (62 and older) and children (3 and under)
The Department of Wildlife and Fisheries is charged with managing and protecting Louisiana's abundant natural resources. For more information, visit us atwww.wlf.louisiana.gov , on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ldwffb  or follow us on Twitter @LDWF.